6ths are THAT Hawaiian Sound!
A huge part of Hawaiian-style lead playing is made up of double-stop harmonies - also called "runs" or "shapings."
Whether leading your ear to the next chord with a little fill or harmonizing a melody, these 6th double-stops are key building blocks to the laid-back, pleasing music of Hawaiʻi.
Check it out in the video below:
6th Sense is an in-depth look at everything you need to know about 6th intervals on the uke:
- The two simple shapes you need to play them
- How to line shapes up to play harmonized scales
- Fitting simple runs around chords
- How to create 6th fills in songs
- Practical examples of how to implement them, including two classic Hawaiian songs
For just $24.99 you'll get lifetime access to detailed instruction on this important subject from one of the web's most respected uke teachers, Brad Bordessa.
"These practical examples are sooo helpful. I feel like I’ve won the lottery!"
- Val Slemko
Great for players who...
Aren't sure what to learn next
6th Sense presents a stand-alone concept that's great for beginner/intermediate players who are feeling stuck in a learning rut.
Want to sound more Hawaiian
6th harmonies are a signature slack-key and Hawaiian sound that makes even simple melodies more authentic.
Just like learning
If you appreciate fresh topics, tricks, and knowledge, 6th Sense is a perfect fit for you! 6th harmonies are applicable to any style of music so dive in!
Meet Your Instructor
Brad Bordessa has been playing and teaching ukulele for over a decade and a half. He's an honors graduate of the Institute of Hawaiian Music and webmaster of LiveUkulele.com. Brad is a staff instructor at George Kahumoku, Jr.'s Slack Key & Ukulele Workshop and has performed and taught alongside James Hill, Kevin Carroll, Fred Sokolau, Herb Ohta, Jr., and many more.
- Intro/Welcome - Overview of the course along with basic terminology, concepts, and expectations
- The Two 6th Shapes - How to play the major and minor 6th shapes and place them on the proper strings and frets
- Your First Harmonized Scale - How to harmonize a simple scale using major and minor 6th shapes
- More Scales + Scale Concepts - How scales function internally with 6th harmonies and several additional scales
- BONUS LESSON: Switching String Pairs - How to extend scales onto other strings to extend their range and location
- How to Learn More Scales - Study tips for learning more scales in a harmonized style
- Playing Over Chords: Part 1 - Learning how 6ths fit around chord shapes
- Playing Over Chords: Part 2 - (Continued)
- Playing Over Chords: Practical Examples - Part 1 - Using 6ths to connect the dots between chord changes and play basic fills
- Playing Over Chords: Practical Examples - Part 2 - (Continued)
- Symmetrical Chromatic Connections - How to use back-to-back 6th shapes to create sour and intriguing transitions
- Scrubbing - Tips for dipping the harmony shapes out of line to create movement
- Broken 6ths - Using the individual components of the 6th shapes to create melody variations
- "Ka Moaʻe" - Song tutorial including how to play the melody and how to jazz it up using tricks learned in past lessons
- "Hilo One" - Song tutorial including how to play the melody and how to jazz it up using tricks learned in past lessons
- Final Study Tips/Outro - How to continue learning about 6ths beyond these lessons and some final inspiration
Each lesson is shot with two camera angles so you can see Brad when he's explaining something, but also a close-up, fingers-only view when there's a demonstration to see.
"As an intermediate player, most of the on-line resources and books that I have used are either too focused upon specific technique or present so much information that I am overwhelmed. Brad Bordessa's material seems to hit the “sweet” spot for me by teaching topics that are within my technical ability and yet have broad application.
His new 6th Sense course has just enough theory for it to make sense and enough practical skills to make it immediately useful. My first viewing of these videos and supporting materials has already given me much food for thought and enabled me to add musical interest to my projects. And there is enough depth to keep me busy for a long time."
- Harold Crawford
(All PDFs - except backing track MP3s)
- Video Examples - TAB x9
- Scales With Chromatic Walks (C, F, G) - TAB
- Fretboard Charts (Main Keys) x6
- 6th Shapes in Major Chords Map
- Backing Tracks x4
- 6ths Over Chords - Fretboard Diagrams x5
- "Ka Moaʻe" - Lead Sheet TAB
- "Ka Moaʻe" - Video Improv Transcription TAB
- "Hilo One" - Lead sheet TAB
- "Hilo One" - Video Improv Transcription TAB
What Level Player is This Course For?
Is it for High-g or Low-G?
Can I Use 6ths For Genres Besides Hawaiian?
What If I Don't Like It?
Is it Live or Pre-Recorded?
Can I Use Baritone For This Course?
If you try the course out and don't like it, let me know within 30 days. I'll refund your money and cancel your account, no questions asked.
What People Are Saying
"I love this course!!! Thank you!! Exactly what I’ve been seeking."
- Nancy Ikeler
"Brad, this is one of the best courses I've ever taken. You've made those beautiful 6th harmonies so accessible. Love all the great resources, and the ability to revisit each class section. What a confidence builder for lead riffs and flourishes! Thanks!"
- Nikki Dahlin
"What a fabulous course this is! I'm sure if you've been playing a while you know some of it, but Brad takes us much deeper. I am thrilled."
- David Smith
"I am learning a lot from you. I love your style and explanations. Many thanks. So glad I purchased your lessons."